Monday, July 13, 2009

Last week - shameless plug time

My theme throughout this class has been technology - the good and the bad. Mostly, I wanted to promote technology in teaching in a general way because I feel embracing it isn't something that is optional anymore in most schools and educational setting. I think that while many of the old tools and methods will always work, many have seen their better days and it is time to move on. The world has changed, the students and they way they think has changed, and we must change too. The rate of change continues to accelerate so I think it is something we must do sooner rather than later. Our ability to prepare these kids for the future depends on it.

This is a huge change, one that is difficult or seemingly impossible for some to face much less implement, so i thought I would go away from the overwhelming nature of the larger picture and present a simple, baby step on the road to embracing technology - get yourself an Activboard or Smartboard. I have an Activboard in my room and I will admit to a heavy preference to it. It was designed specifically for classrooms and teacher use and has an amazing number of downloadable, fully functional lessons called flipcharts available absolutely free and they are even aligned to state standards. This tool ties into student interest like nothing I have ever seen. I believe it is a tool of their world. They understand and relate to it fair more than to a traditional whileboard and it does what the vast majority of experts say is crucial to teaching to this new generation - it engages them.

I cannot speak to other peoples experience but here are some of the things I have found:
  • the Activboard almost drives students to becoming involved. Any teacher knows there are 2 or 3 kids who will respond to anything, a large group in the middle you can coax into it, and the remainder who simply refuse to become involved. When I turn on the Activboard, hold up the boards pen (the equivalent of the mouse on the computer), and say "who would like to..." every voice yells "Me!!" and every hand shots up. Kids are excited by this tool and want to use it.
  • Kids perform better and take their board work more seriously. They know they are in front of their friends. They don't want to look bad. They are driven to be as good with the technology as everyone else or better. It motivates them to do their best.
  • It helps with classroom control. I have gotten more positive response from the simple phrase "If you keep that up I'm shutting off the Activboard" than from almost anything else I have tried. They like it, they want to use it, and they will change their behavior in order to do so.
  • Comprehension is improved when you use an Activboard. Like most or all 4th grade teachers, I attempt to teach my students several new concepts including division and exponents. When I did not have the board, the kids struggled mightily with these ideas. With the board, their comprehension has improved dramatically. I do not have to keep reteaching these concepts.
  • These tools make teachers lives easier and saves them time. Traditional tools like rulers, protractors, and the compass are still used but in an electronic form. You don't have to find, set up, use, put away, or clean up. It is all there just a click away and they are all incredibly easy to use.
  • You are able to manipulate almost everything. Don't like where that text is on the board? Move it. Don't like the color or size? Change it. Did you mean to draw a horizontal line instead of a vertical line? Rotate it.

I could go on and on and on. Many teachers who are hesitant to use technology claim they don't have the time to use the Activboard or learn it. The sad thing is if they would drop their defensiveness about this tool and take a very short time to learn a bit about it, they would find the truth is the complete opposite. You spend far less time doing far more with the Activboard. You can add incredible, colorful interactive components to lessons that would have taken hours if you even had the technology to attempt it. With the Activboard, these things are always at your fingertips.

There you go. My one shameless plug for a specific technology tool. Get one, embrace it and use it to enrich your lessons and you will never be sorry. That goes for technology in general as far as I am concerned. Be wise. Be thoughtful. Develop knowledge and skills that allow you to make good technology choices. Your job will be easier, your classroom will be more vibrant, and you will be taking real steps to making the changes needed to serve the next generation of students fully.

2 comments:

  1. Activboards are awesome! I haven't been lucky enough to get one in my classroom yet but have been to a few training sessions and adults are enamored with them as much as students. I truly believe the way to engage kids is to entertain them. Technology allows us to do that and they learn at the same time without even realizing it. What I like most about some of these technology tools is the fact kids really like to learn to use them and enjoy teaching the class and their teachers new interesting features. I wish we had these tools when I was a kid. I had a teacher that had a scroll of notes on the overhead and he used the same ones every year. How boring for him and the students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An Activboard is a great tool. I have had one for four years.

    Last year mine was "down" for a day and the student involvement dropped. Kids went back to goovy around, not paying attention. Parents are always asking me questions about the thing, wanting to know if they can buy one for at home.

    The kids love the backgrounds, features all the cool tools that help keep their interest in the lesson. I believe my kids learn more from the board, since they are involved in the lesson.

    I don't think I could teach a quality lesson without my activboard and it's tools.

    Get a set of expressions if you are able--you will love them as will the students. They are expensive, but the engagement is unbelievable.

    I wonder what the next tech tool is going to be? I want to invest in that stock!

    Chad

    ReplyDelete