Monday, June 8, 2009

To Twitter or Not to Twitter

"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless information"
Bertrand Russell, British Author, mathematician, and philosopher
(1872-1970)

At least I know know why the Twits (isn't that what you call one who Twitters?) all appear so giddy about their new favorite past time. As a pure hearted lover of technology I initially welcomed the arrival of Twitter. It swirled in just after blogging and wikis swept us off of our feet (digitally anyway) and I saw it as a new avenue for the creatively concise. My thoughts turned to another young writer whose editor challenged him to write a book with just 400 words. The young man was a talented, ambitious type and did the editor one better by using only 223, and wound up writing one of the greatest children's books in the history of literature. Sad to say, the Twitter invasion has not inspired anything even vaguely similar. Instead it has produced a tidal wave of largely useless information. Thousands of people sit on edge waiting to see what someone else had for lunch or whether a new pair of pants will fit. Take "inane", move 10 paces toward "completely useless", and you are still well short of the airless, mindless nature of the majority of the content of Twitter. What makes it worse is that this haven of vacuous uselessness is being actively used by only a small percentage of folks who even bother to sign up for it. So even I admit it's useless, right? It has no place in the classroom.....

....except......

....there appears to be a growing number of credible educational professional - sane, grown adults, mind you - you are promoting the educational uses of Twitter and as completely and totally as I have been against it, I have to admit as I read what they say, much of it makes sense. Many have taken up the defense of Twitter in the classroom and many are not academic lightweights or children. David Parry is one such person. He is an assistant professor of emerging media and communication at the University of Texas at Dallas and is the creator of a blog called AcademHack. It is dedicated to the appropriate uses of technology in the academic world and he has posted a rousing and very convincing argument for the use of Twitter in the classroom. I began the post looking for reasons to trash it and found myself agreeing with point after point.

I think my eyes have been opened about Twitter. Not a lot - I still think in most cases it is a useless technology and little more than a waste of time. However, I have learned enough to know that before I really pass judgment I must know more. I have spent some time trying to find sites that could give me more information such as a short, easy to understand description of what Twitter is and basic tutorials on how to use it. As I searched, I kept finding people in education who were finding really good and logical uses for Twitter in high schools, libraries, and for college students.

Long story short? After being convinced for all of this time that I had absolutely no use for Twitter, I find myself leaning a bit the other way. I think it is an example of what is going on today. The vast amount of almost daily change is almost overpowering. Our world is changing which means our students are changing and we must change with them. However, we must always retain the sense to understand that not all change is good and the flexibility to change when it is beneficial or needed. Part of both of these is the need to have the patience to really look at new technologies carefully and the open mindedness to not make snap judgments. If we don't have or acquire these traits we will either jump on every technology bandwagon, good or bad, and waste valuable time and money, or pass on technology that will help us teach better and place students in the optimal learning atmosphere.

4 comments:

  1. I do agree with you that Twittering can be a waste of time especially if it is being used to tell someone some obscure fact about your life. As I was reading you blog I was reminded of a skit that Conan O’Brien does on “The Tonight Show” called Twitter Trackers. Basically he makes funs of celebrity “tweets” that merrily state that they are walking their dog or some other insignificant aspect of their life.
    With that said, Technology like this should not be dismissed because it can have tremendous educational value to students. Teachers could set up twittering sites in which students can join and have questions answered about homework or assignments. I have also seen the Weather Channel using the Twitter program to alert participates about changes in weather or other weather related topics. Students could join sites like this to gain an insight on the weather or other educational mediums.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny that you bring up Twittering... I am on a committee that develops Acalympics questions each year. One of the ones I contributed to the Acalympic questions for this past year in the technology category this year was..."Name the web based service that allows people to send "tweets" to their friends and followers? All of the students from surrounding schools got it right...so it must be relevant, right? If the students already know what it is and how to use it- why not use it to our advantage. I have heard of one teacher that uses twitter to send students positive "tweets" about their work or class progress. She also uses it to remind students about upcoming assignments/project due dates. We still have some students that do not have internet access so she allows her students to check their twitter accounts before class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally! It is here, a post about Twitter. I am like you in the fact of jumping on and getting blown away by new technologies. And the same thing with Twitter. I signed up a while ago and sat on the front page for a long time pondering my Twitter identity. Should I be that girl who tweets about her every move? Should I be pompous and only tweet words with three or more syllables? Or should I pick something, education, technology, business, English to tweet about? It seemed all very unclear. I have since did more research on the Tweets and followed some to emulate and have found my way. The marketing and education uses for Twitter are numerous. There are a lot of uses for the newest technology. Like you have found in this post, even when we are not sure about the implications it is worth looking into because you may discover something amazing to do with this technology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You had to be that person to bring up Twitter! I applaud your gutyness on this “divided” topic. I think Twitter goes down as one of the greatest-dumbest inventions ever made (there is an award for that, right). I like that it is being used as a tool to show the appropriate use of technology. What I don’t like is how much time people waste on it, “Trying to find out what Oprah had for lunch!” I kind of feel like we are slowly moving towards a scenario like the movie, The Truman Show. I signed up for Twitter because I heard about it on Oprah (Yeah, I fell for it), and when I went through the tutorial, I was pretty mad. You tell what you are doing! Right now I am writing this, with coffee in front of me, in a Nike suit. Impressed, me neither.
    As for using it academically, I would be very interested in seeing how this professor incorporates it into his curriculum. I might need to remember my password.

    ReplyDelete